Strategic Ornithological Support Services (SOSS)
Providing ornithological advice to inform decision-making for offshore wind
Areas of work were as follows:
- Improving understanding of how different species are displaced from an area following the construction of an offshore wind farm.
- Providing guidance on the methods used to estimate the risk of bird collisions with offshore wind farms.
- Developing methods to monitor collisions of birds with offshore wind turbines.
- Developing population viability analysis (PVA) techniques to assess the cumulative risk to key bird populations from all existing and planned offshore wind farms.
- Developing recommendations for the assessment of risk to migrant bird species, and identifying key gaps in knowledge.
More information about SOSS work, including project reports and other outputs, can be found on the projects page.
Further priority research required to address remaining gaps in knowledge was identified by the SOSS steering group. Download a summary of their recommendations here:
One high priority project to monitor collisions and avoidance offshore is being taken forward by a joint industry partnership. Read about the SOSS steering group's recommendations for this study here:
Scottish Birdwatchers' Conference
Every year the Scottish Ornithologist's Club arrange a one-day Scottish Birdwatchers’ Conference, organised by a local branch of the SOC, in conjunction with BTO Scotland.
Bird ID (Residential, Berry Head, Devon)
Develop your bird identification skills on this weekend course for relative beginners and improvers. Expect a combination of indoor sessions covering the basics of bird identification and outdoor sessions to build your...