Quick set-up guide
The following instructions will help you get started:
- Click on the 'Register' button in the 'BirdTrack options' box on the top left of this page, then click on 'New online users' if you are new to BTO online surveys. If you already take part in Garden BirdWatch online or the Breeding Bird Survey online or took part in Bird Atlas 2007–11 online and already have a user name and password, click 'Existing online users'.
- To create sites and enter records click 'Login' and then enter your username and password.
- Once logged in various options will appear in the 'Your options' panel on the left. To create a new site click on 'Create new site' and enter a site name along with grid reference, post code or use the Google map to find the site. You might also find the Ordnance Survey 'Get-a-map' facility useful for finding grid references.
- To enter a species list click on 'Species list' then select the site you visited from the drop down list. Next enter the date in the format dd/mm/yyyy or click the calendar icon. This will bring up a calendar and you can select the date.
- Click on 'Continue & record observation'
- You will get a list of c180 species on the screen. Go through and tick the species you saw and enter counts if you can, adding breeding status where relevant (during March–August). You can add additional species to the list by using the drop-down menu at the bottom on the page. When you are finished click on 'Submit species details' and then you will be asked to check the records and then 'Confirm'. The way the list works is that once you have recorded 30 or more species you will only be shown the species you have recorded at that site, with the ability to add new species using the drop-down menu at the bottom. This means that each site will have it's own unique species list over time.
- Entering Casual Records is very similar - click 'Casual record' then select site and date in the same way as described above. Select the species from the drop-down menu and click on 'Submit casual records'.
You will find many useful functions in 'My details & settings' which is accessed by the button at the top of 'Your options'. Here you can update email addresses, change the order of the species lists from alphabetical (default) to taxonomic, order your sites and change the layout of your species lists.
Any problems please email birdtrack [at] bto.org