Training to ring

There are four classes of ringing permits in the UK. All ringers start out as a Trainee and hold a T-permit. Once enough experience has been gained in one or more modules, ringers progress to a C-permit and then an A-permit. Should they wish to, an A-permit can become a Trainer (S-permit), either immediately or after a period of time.

BTO issues ringing permits on behalf of the Statutory Nature Conservation Bodies (SNCBs; Natural England, Natural Resources Wales, NatureScot, and the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs, Northern Ireland). This role is delegated to the Trust via an Organisational Licence received from each SNCB.

BTO also issues ringing permits for ringers in the Republic of Ireland and the Isle of Man; however ringers in these areas also require an additional permit issued directly by the National Parks and Wildlife Service (Ireland) or the Manx Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture respectively. See Section 1.1 for further details.

If you want to train to ring, you will need to find a ringing trainer who will be able to assess whether you can obtain a T permit. 

Related content