Develop your bird identification skills on this weekend course for relative beginners. Expect a combination of indoor sessions covering the basics of bird identification and outdoor sessions to build your confidence in the field. Portland Bird Observatory is one of the UK's premier destinations for witnessing spring migration, and the course is timed to coincide with the arrival of Wheatears, warblers and more.
This course aims to provide you with the following:
- A detailed introduction to the common birds of various lowland habitats.
- Identification tips for a range of common birds, including summer migrants, by sight and sound.
- An introduction to BirdTrack.
- A brief overview of other rewarding BTO surveys.
- Amply opportunity to practice your identification skills in the field.
Our weekend residential courses in 2019 cost £250. The price includes accommodation at the Observatory, breakfasts, packed lunches and cooked evening meals at a nearby pub (from Friday evening to Sunday lunchtime inclusive), tuition and course materials.
Observatory accommodation is in twin / double rooms. Please enquire if you would like a single room, which may be available for a supplement but cannot be guaranteed.
A non-residential price of £170 is also available, which includes packed lunches and evening meals but not bed or breakfast. Please ask for more details, though note that there are both pre-breakfast and post-dinner activities.
Online booking is available for this event but if you have any queries about booking a place, please email Anne.Cotton [at] bto.org or ring 01786 458021.