Bird ID and BBS (2-day non-residential, RSPB Arne & Stoborough Heath)
- Matt Collis
Thursday, March 21, 2019 - 10:00 to Friday, March 22, 2019 - 16:00
- Fully booked
Improve your bird identification skills and learn how they can be applied in the Breeding Bird Survey
Brush up your bird identification skills by sight and sound, and find out all about the Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) on this two day non-residential course for improvers. With a focus on birds of woodland and heathland habitats, discover more about our breeding birds at this diverse lowland site. Expect a combination of indoor sessions covering the basics of bird identification and outdoor sessions to build your confidence in the field.
This course aims to provide you with the following:
- An overview of the birds you can expect to see and hear in southern Britain during the breeding season, and the habitats in which to look for them.
- Identification pointers for a range of common breeding birds, by both sight and sound.
- Specific guidance on how to distinguish between similar-looking and -sounding woodland species.
- An introduction to the Breeding Bird Survey (BBS) and how it works.
- An overview of the value of BBS data to conservation science.
- Opportunity to learn the skills needed to conduct this survey.
- Chance to practice your ID skills and undertake a mock BBS transect.
- Demonstration of how to record BBS data and advice on becoming involved.
This 2-day non-residential course costs £120. The price includes teaching, course materials and refreshments during each day. Please bring a packed lunch both days.
If you are interested in the course but only able to attend for one of the days, please contact us and we'll see if we can meet your needs.
Online booking is available for this event but if you have any queries about booking a place, please email Anne.Cotton [at] bto.org or ring 01786 458021.
Bird ID (residential)
Set in woodland in the Conwy valley just outside Betws-y-coed, this great venue offers access to a wide range of different habitats in which to watch and learn about birds.
Bird ID (residential)
Spurn Point is one of the UK's premier destinations for witnessing autumn migration! The course is timed to coincide with the arrival of winter wildfowl and thrushes, among many other species.