Winter bird ID and WeBS (2-day non-residential – RSPB Bowling Green and Goosemoor, Exeter)
- Matt Collis
Monday, January 7, 2019 - 10:00 to Tuesday, January 8, 2019 - 16:00
- Fully booked
Improve your winter bird ID skills and discover the Wetland Bird Survey on this 2-day course.
Improve your winter bird ID skills and learn all about the Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS) on this two day non-residential course for relative beginners and improvers. With a focus on waterfowl and waders, discover more about our winter birds at one of the UK's best winter birding sites. Expect a combination of indoor sessions covering the basics of bird identification and outdoor sessions to build your confidence in the field.
This course aims to provide you with the following:
- An overview of the birds you can expect to see in the UK in winter, and the habitats in which to look for them.
- Identification pointers for a range of common winter birds, by both sight and sound.
- Specific guidance on how to distinguish between similar-looking winter waders and waterfowl.
- An introduction to the Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS) and how it works.
- An overview of the value of WeBS data to conservation science.
- Opportunity to learn the skills needed to conduct this simple survey.
- Chance to practice your ID skills and undertake a mock WeBS count.
- Demonstration of how to submit WeBS data and advice on how you can become involved.
This 2-day non-residential course costs £120. The price includes teaching, course materials and refreshments during each day. Please bring a packed lunch both days.
If you are interested in the course but only able to attend for one of the days, please contact us and we'll see if we can meet your needs.
Online booking is available for this event but if you have any queries about booking a place, please email Anne.Cotton [at] bto.org or ring 01786 458021.
Bird ID (residential)
Set in woodland in the Conwy valley just outside Betws-y-coed, this great venue offers access to a wide range of different habitats in which to watch and learn about birds.
Bird ID (residential)
This excellent venue offers access to a huge range of birds, habitats and reserves.