Join the British Trust for Ornithology
Discover the curiosities of birds with BTO membership
Learn about birds, their lives, and the environment around them while supporting our science.
Included with BTO Membership from £3 a month
- Be the first to hear when training course booking opens*
- BTO News magazine four times a year (find out more)
- Access to BTO's Chris Mead Library and its resources
- Member edition of our monthly e-newsletter, giving you more access ‘behind the scenes’ as well as latest member news
- All adults in your household added to the membership have digital access to BTO News as well as the above member benefits
- Voting rights at Members’ Meetings
- Eligibility to apply for a BTO research grant**
*for the majority of nationally organised courses
Add a journal to your membership
BTO publishes two outstanding science journals - add either (or both) to your BTO membership.
Published quarterly, showcasing scientific papers and research relevant to field ornithology and evidence-based bird conservation.More about Bird Study
Ringing & Migration
Published twice a year, covering research on all aspects of avian ecology, with a particular emphasis on the use of ringing, tracking and nest monitoring.More about Ringing & Migration
Give the gift of membership
A Gift membership is a great way of supporting our work while providing a unique and special present. As well as the usual benefits including a year’s subscription to our fantastic members’ magazine BTO News, Gift membership also includes:
- Your choice of Collins BTO Guide to British Birds or BTO's Garden Birds and Other Wildlife. Plus a BTO beanie
Other types of membership
Life Membership and Young Birder Membership are also available, please contact the BTO Supporter Team for more information - email membership [at] bto.org or call 01842 750050
As a BTO member, you will be:
Inspired by birds
Your membership encourages curiosity. Whether you are early in your journey of discovery or an advanced birder, you will have access to a wide range of resources to discover more about the birds we monitor here in the UK and beyond.
Informed by science
Membership supports our crucial work in an ever-changing world. We’ll keep you up to date on our progress, achievements, impact, and future through our quarterly magazine and regular e-newsletter.
BTO Data Reports
Our reports provide rigorous scientific information to inform Environmental Impact Assessments in the UK.
Bird ID (3 sessions, Wednesdays 7pm)
The training involves three weekly online modules, with a large interactive component and complemented by supported self-study exercises. We place a strong emphasis on providing you with tools and techniques that will...