Winter bird ID and WeBS (Residential, Flatford Mill, Suffolk)
- Steve Piotrowski
Friday, January 10, 2020 - 17:00 to Sunday, January 12, 2020 - 14:30
- Fully booked
Improve your winter bird ID skills and discover the Wetland Bird Survey on this weekend course.
Improve your winter bird ID skills and learn all about the Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS) on this weekend residential course for relative beginners and improvers. With a focus on waterfowl and waders, discover more about our winter waterbirds in one of the UK's best areas for winter birdwatching. Expect a combination of indoor sessions covering the basics of bird identification and outdoor sessions to build your confidence in the field.
This course aims to provide you with the following:
- An overview of the birds you can expect to see in the UK in winter, and the habitats in which to look for them.
- Identification pointers for a range of common winter birds, by both sight and sound.
- Specific guidance on how to distinguish between similar-looking winter waders and waterfowl.
- An introduction to the Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS) and how it works.
- An overview of the value of WeBS data to conservation science.
- Opportunity to learn the skills needed to conduct this simple survey.
- Chance to practice your ID skills and undertake a mock WeBS count.
- Demonstration of how to submit WeBS data and advice on how you can become involved.
The price for this residential course includes teaching, course materials, two nights' accommodation and all meals from Friday evening to Sunday lunchtime.
If you are interested in attending the course as a non-resident, please contact us and we'll see if we can meet your needs.
This course is now fully booked but if you would like to be added to a waiting list, please email Anne.Cotton [at] bto.org or ring 01786 458021.