Nestboxes: Your Complete Guide
Building your own nestbox and watching a pair of birds raise a successful brood will bring pleasure to the whole family, and this book provides all you need to know to get started.
Written by Dave Cromack and drawing on the BTO's expertise, this new book provides the perfect guide to building, erecting and monitoring nestboxes for a broad range of bird species.
- Step-by-step illustrated instructions for constructing proven nestbox designs
- Profiles of garden bird species that regularly use nestboxes
- Box designs for less common garden visitors
- Practical advice on the best positions for your nestboxes
- How to protect nesting birds from cats and other predators
- The best materials and tools to use
- Tips on repairing and preserving nestboxes
- Advice on providing refuges for Hedgehogs and other garden animals
Published by BTO Services Ltd with the support of Jacobi Jayne & Company.
View sample pages
Migration blog (3rd – 9th September)
With the first days of Autumn upon us and the breeding season over for many species, the focus is now on preparing for the coming winter months.
Working together for seabirds
BTO work supports effective monitoring of our seabirds and aims to provide opportunities for a new generation of seabird surveyors.
Counting birds and the Wetland Bird Survey (Wednesday 22 September, 10am)
This course involves one online session of about 1 hour 45 minutes, with a trainer:participant ratio of about 1:30. Participants' microphones are muted during the presentations but there is a large interactive component...