Remember a loved one
A gift to the BTO in memory of a loved one is a wonderful way of celebrating their life and their love for birds; whether they were dedicated to monitoring bird populations in their local patch, excited about the birds in their garden or captivated watching Kingfishers hunt along their local river. Please consider making a donation in memory today.
Your gift will mean a lot and make a difference
Making a donation in memory will help us ensure that future generations will benefit from the same unforgettable experiences that birdwatching brings.
Your kind support will also help us continue our vital scientific research programme, monitor patterns of population change, raising the alarm when declines become evident, and invest in vital training courses to ensure that BTO expertise is accessible to all of our supporters.
Ways to remember a loved one
Making an In Memory donation
- Give a one-off credit card donation by completing the online form.
- Set up a regular monthly donation online.
- Send a cheque with the details to: Samantha Rider, Legacy Manager, BTO, The Nunnery, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 2PU
- Make a bank transfer via BACS to: British Trust for Ornithology, NatWest Account No. 66322316, Sort Code: 60-04-16 - Please add the person’s name you are remembering in the reference and send an email to inmemory [at] bto.org to let us know, so we can say thank you and send you some Remembrance Seeds.
- Call the Supporter Team on 01842 750050 and pay by credit or debit card over the phone.
Other ways to remember a loved one
- Add a dedication to our Remembering a Loved One page
- Arrange a Funeral or Memorial Service Collection
- Set up a Tribute Fund using MuchLoved.com
If you have any questions about making a donation to BTO, or would prefer to talk to someone, please contact our Legacy Manager Sam Rider on 01842 750050 or email inmemory [at] bto.org
Arranging Funeral and Memorial Service Collections
Collecting donations in lieu of flowers to support our vital work is a wonderful way to continue supporting your loved one’s passion for birds.
- If you would like us to send you some free collection envelopes for your loved one’s funeral in lieu of flowers, please email Sam Rider on inmemory [at] bto.org - we would normally send 25 envelopes but if you require more or less, please add this information to your message.
- These special envelopes can be placed inside the order of service or laid on seats and give the option to add Gift Aid to the donation, increasing the value of those gifts to our charity by 25%.
- Please ensure to give us the date of your loved one’s service so that we know when you need the envelopes for and can send them to you in good time.
Online donations for your family and friends using MuchLoved
If you are arranging a funeral for a loved one and want to give family and friends the option to give donations online in their memory to the BTO, you can set up a tribute page on MuchLoved.
Collections by funeral director
If, for a funeral, you would prefer to use your funeral director to collect in memory donations, please ask for cheques to be made out to the British Trust for Ornithology which can be sent with details to:
- Fundraising Team, BTO, The Nunnery, Thetford, IP24 2PU
- Please add the person’s name you are remembering in the reference and send an email to inmemory [at] bto.org to let us know, so that we can say ‘thank you’ and send you some Remembrance Seeds.
If you have any questions or would prefer to talk to someone, please contact our Legacy Manager Sam Rider on 01842 750050 or email inmemory [at] bto.org
Add a dedication to our Remembering a Loved One page
Family and friends of BTO supporters who have sadly passed away are most welcome to add a dedication to our Remembering a Loved One page and celebrate their life and their love for birds.
During this process you will be given an option to support the BTO’s vital work with a donation in their memory, if you would like to, helping us to secure a better future for our birds.
- Free Wildflower Remembrance Seeds will be offered to anyone who creates a dedication.
- Download the instructions to help you add a dedication.
- Please contact Sam Rider our Legacy Manager on inmemory [at] bto.org, if you have any problems or questions.
Free wildflower seeds with every dedication
- Free Wildflower Remembrance Seeds will be offered to anyone who adds a dedication to our Remembering a Loved One page.
‘Thank you for the wildflower seeds. I will scatter them with his ashes in our village nature reserve where he was in charge of the nest boxes and which he kept records of the birds.’
We would like to thank Marshalls Garden who have regularly donated the wildflower seeds to BTO.
BTO Data Reports
Our reports provide rigorous scientific information to inform Environmental Impact Assessments in the UK.