This privacy statement sets out how the British Trust for Ornithology ("BTO") complies with data protection legal requirements. This applies to the entire website.
You can access this privacy statement via our homepage and from the bottom of every page by clicking on the appropriate link.
BTO is committed to respecting the privacy of all visitors to its website. We have structured our website so that, in general, you can visit BTO on the web without identifying yourself or revealing any personal information. Once you choose to provide us with any information by which you can be identified, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
For your protection, we are registered under the Data Protection Act 1998 and have given all appropriate notifications to the Information Commissioner.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- Your name, address, e-mail details and other relevant information when you join the BTO, enquire about BTO membership, register to join a survey, become or express an interest in becoming a volunteer, make a donation, request data or make general enquiries
- We may also ask you to provide us with information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics, experiences with the BTO in order to provide you with further information
What do we do with the information we gather?
When you use this site and have not advised us to the contrary, you are agreeing that we may use your personal information for the purposes set out in this statement.
We require this information to operate BTO as effectively as possible for you and all our members, volunteers and supporters and in particular for the following:
- Membership, volunteer and other internal record keeping
- Operation of ecological surveys
- We may periodically send e-mails about new developments or other information which we think you may find interesting using the e-mail address which you have provided. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for fundraising and furthering the BTO’s objectives. We may contact you by e-mail, phone, fax or mail. You may opt out of receiving these communications at any time
We will not sell, distribute or lend your personal information to third parties, other than organisations with which we share survey information, unless we have your permission or are required to do so by law. We may (with your permission) release your personal information to organisations that help to sponsor surveys or commercial components of the BTO’s work.
What to do if you think we have incorrect information about you, or you would like a copy of the information we hold about you
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. This fee will not exceed £10. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to:
The Director of Services
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write or e-mail us as soon as possible to the above address. We will correct any information which was found to be incorrect promptly.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect on line. World Pay use encryption when collecting or transferring sensitive data such as credit card information.
Our website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.