There are currently over 3,000 WeBS counters and these are marshalled by around 160 volunteer Local Organisers (LOs) who each have responsibility for a region. Regions can be either counties (or similar) or large complex sites.
We have several areas around the UK that are in need of a Volunteer WeBS Local Organiser, this page is intended to give you an idea of what this important role involves.
What skills do I need?
- Good local knowledge
- You must be organised
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Enthusiasm for the Scheme
- Word Processing and e-mail skills. Other elementary computer skills are also preferable but not essential
- Some involvement with local bird clubs would be advantageous but not essential
What do WeBS Local Organisers do?
Given the level of variation in the size and nature of LO regions, the role of a WeBS LO is similarly varied, with no two LOs having exactly the same job. However, we do ask each of our Local Organisers to:
- try to maintain (and where possible) enhance coverage of waterbodies within their region,
- encourage counters to return their counts on time and to check their counts for obvious mistakes.
- be the first port of call for counters who have a query about WeBS.
- publicise WeBS in their local area as opportunities allow (e.g. asking for volunteers at bird club meetings, in local newsletters, etc).
For regions where coastal counts take place, we also ask our LOs to check the local high tide times and dates and set an alternative Core Count date if the pre-set date is unsuitable.
For more details about what is expected of our Local Organisers, you can download a copy of the WeBS Local Organiser Job Description (PDF, 133.38 KB)
Which regions are available?
In the table below you will find a list of the WeBS regions that are in need of a Local Organiser.
|Buckinghamshire (south)||Derbyshire||Durham||Essex (inland and Colne Estuary)|
|Huddersfield/Halifax area||Kent east and west (excl. north Kent estuaries)||Greater London (excl. Thames Estuary)|
|Carlingford Lough||Co. Down (inland)||Co. Fermanagh||Co. Londonderry (other sites)|
|Co. Tyrone (excl. Loughs Neagh & Beg)|
|Angus||Sutherland (excl. Moray Basin)||West Inverness/Wester Ross|
As some of the regions listed above cover a large area, we would be prepared to split a region in certain circumstances - please mention this when you contact us (see below).
The next step...
If you'd like to apply to become a Volunteer WeBS Local Organiser please contact the WeBS Office, webs [at] bto.org, with your name and address plus a few details about yourself and your experience.