The BTO offers a competitive and impartial Ornithological Impact Assessment service. We have a wealth of experience acquired in carrying out numerous proactive and reactive studies on major industrial and public developments. We have particular expertise in the area of offshore wind farm impact assessment.
For more information, please contact applications [at] bto.org, or call the Research Support Team on 01842 750050.
Examples of impact assements undertaken to date:
- Cardiff Bay Monitoring. The establishment of an effective monitoring programme to assess changes in numbers and distributions of waders after the closure of the Cardiff Bay barrage for Cardiff Bay Development Corporation
- Onshore and offshore wind farm sites. Ornithological surveys at several proposed wind farm sites for Environmental Impact Assessments.
- North Morecambe Ornithological Assessment. A project to monitor the area around a new gas pipeline for British Gas plc.
- Cockersands Sea Defences. An ornithological assessment of the Cockersands area of Morecambe Bay to determine potential impacts of raising/altering sea defences and to make recommendations for mitigation. Undertaken for Babtie Group.
- Lancaster Western Bypass. Ornithological survey of the area potentially affected by the proposed route options for a newbypass for Lancaster County Council.
- M4 Newport. Ornithological surveys as part of the route planning for the M4 around Newport for Department of Transport.
- Severn Tidal Power Barrage. A series of studies undertaken to assess the existing distribution of waterfowl and to predict the effect of building a tidal power barrage for Department of Trade and Industry, Energy Technology Support Unit and Severn Tidal Power Group.