Ringing Permit Renewals
Ringing permits are renewed annually, with the renewal process starting in October for ‘T’ and ‘C’ ringing permit holders and just before Christmas for ‘A’ permit holders. ‘A’s may not be able to renew until the new year as they have to submit all their ringing data for the calendar year first (see below). Therefore, to spread the work and so help staff process all renewals rapidly, ‘T’s and ‘C’s are asked to renew by the end of the year, and preferably by the end of November. ‘A’s are asked to renew by the end of March and, preferably, by the end of February. Late renewals (from 1 December for ‘T’s and ‘C’s and from 1 March for ‘A’s) have to be processed in smaller batches and are therefore more costly. To help with this cost, and to encourage early renewals, there is a £10 increase in the annual fee for those ‘T’s and ‘C’s who renew after 30 November and those ‘A’s who renew after 28 February.
Training record forms, change of trainer forms and reporting forms (Schedule 1, Special Methods, etc.) can all be found at www.bto.org/permit-renew
- Please only use the online renewal link that is emailed to you as they are unique. When completing the form please take care with the health and wildlife crime questions; most ringers who tick ‘yes’ to having unspent convictions or being unfit to continue ringing are found to have done so in error when staff follow it up.
- If you have applied for an ‘A’ permit, but receive a renewal link for your ‘C’ permit before hearing back about your application, please renew your ‘C’ permit as there is no guarantee that a decision about your ‘A’ permit will be reached before the end of December.
- If you are unable to pay for your permit online and indicate at the end of the process that you will send a cheque, please help us to link your payment to your application by doing so promptly. Please note that no permit can be issued or validated until a cheque, credit card or invoice payment has been received. If you have not renewed your permit by 1 May, or informed us that you wish to resign, unfortunately your permit will have to be lapsed. If there are special circumstances that mean you are unable to renew on time, please let us know and ask for an extension.
- Please remember to ensure that you are in possession of a valid ringing permit, as indicated by the expiry date, either as a paper or electronic copy; if the latter, make sure you can access it via a mobile device should you be asked to produce it when you are in the field. If you do not receive renewal information or your permit after you think you have renewed, please ringing.permit [at] bto.org (email us).
- Each Retrapping Adults for Survival (RAS) project that has submitted data for the current year, can nominate one person to claim up to £25 off their annual fee, providing they renew (and RAS data has been received) by 28 February. To claim your reduction, simply enter the RAS number of the project you are claiming against when you renew your permit.
As the renewal process differs between ‘A’s and ‘C’s and ‘T’s, we have explained each below. Please, therefore, read the relevant section for specific information about your renewal procedure.
If you are a trainee, you can only renew your permit once your trainer has agreed to train you over the next year. In October, trainers will be asked whether they wish to continue training each of their trainees. Assuming your trainer agrees, and has received any outstanding data from you (if you are entering data on their behalf, for instance), a training record form should be completed together prior to you renewing; note, this form is for personal use and is not submitted to BTO HQ. You will be sent an online renewal link once your trainer has let us know that they will continue training you.
If you need to change your trainer, a Change of Trainer form, signed by your new trainer, should be completed and submitted to BTO HQ prior to renewal. Once this has been received, a renewal link will be sent.
‘C’ permit holders
If you hold a ‘C’ permit, you can only renew your permit once your trainer has agreed to train you over the next year. In October, trainers will be asked whether they wish to continue being responsible for each of their ‘C’ permit holders. Assuming your trainer agrees, and has received any outstanding data from you, a training record form should be completed together prior to you renewing; note, this form is for personal use and is not submitted to BTO HQ. You will be sent an online renewal link once your trainer has let us know that they are willing to continue taking responsibility for you and you have submitted Special Methods Reports for any relevant endorsements held in your name.
If you need to change your trainer, a Change of Trainer form, signed by your new trainer, should be completed and submitted to BTO HQ prior to renewal. Once this has been received, you will be sent a renewal link.
‘A’ permit holders
If you hold an ‘A’ permit you cannot renew until you have submitted all data for the calendar year, including any data collected by your Ts and Cs. You will also need to have sent all reports, including Special Methods Reports for endorsements in your name and any outstanding ringing data requests, for the period up to the date of renewal, to BTO HQ. Once all forms and data have been received, you will be sent an online renewal link. If you are a trainer, you should check that you have received all ringing data from your ‘T’ and ‘C’ permits before approving their renewal.