Stay connected to nature, learn about your garden wildlife and contribute to important scientific research without leaving your home. We're giving everyone free access to BTO Garden BirdWatch during the COVID-19 lockdown.
Help with research into garden wildlife by joining our Garden BirdWatch community
- BTO has run the year-round Garden BirdWatch scheme since 1995, and thousands of people across the UK contribute their sightings each week.
- Gardens are really important habitats for wildlife, but we need to understand how and why populations of garden birds and other wildlife are changing, and how we can help them.
- You can help by keeping a simple list and telling us which species visit each week, helping us learn about how wildlife uses the food, shelter and other resources in our gardens.
- The more we can understand about how birds and animals use our gardens, the more we can improve our cities, towns, villages and individual gardens for wildlife.
- Sign up for Garden BirdWatch!
Time / skill required
Join the projectJoin Garden BirdWatch
- Jan 1995 - Garden BirdWatch recording begins
- Dec 2010 - Big Garden Beakwatch Survey launched
- Dec 2011 - Abnormal Plumage Survey launched
- Jan 2014 - Garden Wildlife Health project launched
How to take part
Garden BirdWatch annual results
Read about the changes we have seen over the last year for garden birds.
Sign-up for our Garden BirdWatch email newsletter
Find out more about the BTO Garden BirdWatch scheme, including results, interesting observations from participants and upcoming events. The newsletter is sent out towards the end of every month, and you can unsubscribe at any time.Sign-up for GBW enews
Is bird feeding changing Britain's garden bird communities?
Newly published research from BTO shows how the popular pastime of feeding the birds is significantly shaping garden bird communities in Britain.
What we can learn from 25 years of watching gardens
Exploring the value of a complete quarter-century of weekly garden bird observations from BTO's Garden BirdWatch covering the length and breadth of the country.